Monday, March 07, 2011

review: shellac nail polish removal

i finally got my shellac nail polish removed over the weekend, after having them on for a little over 3 weeks. i wanted to get them removed earlier, but the spa was completely booked during the times i was available.

the process was as follows:
  1. my fingertips were placed in acetone for approximately 5 minutes. initially i was quite nervous about this process since i have a history of having eczema on my hands and was worried it would burn my skin. it turns out that it was pain free, but i can feel and see that the acetone was drying out my skin and nails
  2. the nail polish began to 'melt' and was removed with wood cuticle pushers. the lady was literally pushing off the melted nail polishing and scratching off the stubborn polish that was sticking to my nails. regular nail polish was also used to help remove nail polish residuals.
  3. i then thoroughly washed my hands with warm soapy water to remove the acetone from my hands and nails. 
  4. my nails were then re-filed and shaped since they've grown quite a bit since i got my shellac nails done and cuticle oil was applied to the entire nail to hydrate the nail. 

after removal of shellac nail polish


the owner of the spa told me how it was safe to put on shellac nails right after getting them done, but the manicurist recommended to let the nails 'breathe' for a few days before getting shellac nails done since acetone is very harsh on the skin and nails. she also mentioned that many people are allergic to acetone and tend to have a runny nose due to the strong smell.

the results of the entire process was quick and pain free, but i do feel that my nails more dry from the acetone. i would recommend getting shellac nails done once a month at the most:  2 weeks of shellac, removal of shellac and then get regular manicures for 2 weeks (use acetone-free nail polish remover as well). now off to putting on more cuticle oil...

No comments:

Post a Comment